06 October, 2005

Attempting work; Failing

So if you believe in creationism, do me this two-fold favor: a) punch yourself in the face and b) don't ever read this blog again because you're a fucking moron. I can't believe people still debate over Darwinism v. Creationism. Like, I honestly can't believe it.

When I read things like this, I wonder why, on July 20, 1860, Lincoln didn't just say "You know what, fuck the South. They had their 15 minutes, let 'em go." Then, perhaps, they wouldn't have spread to places like Seattle and Pennsylvania, where research on "'Intelligent' Design" is taking place.

I mean, yes the Civil War was necessary for other obvious reasons, but still. Religious fanatics scare the shit out of me. Take, for instance, an excerpt from the article linked above:
"The American Museum of Natural History in New York will open the most far-reaching exhibition in its history on Charles Darwin, the father of evolution, next month. In most countries such a display by one of the world's top museums would not be the stuff of heated controversy.

But not in America. Not in 2005.

As the rest of the world looks on in amazement at a debate that seemed to have been settled long ago, America is now gripped by a raging battle between evolution and creationism. The museum's Darwin exhibition will be just the latest battle in the continuing fight.

At the centre of it is the concept of intelligent design, which critics call 'creationism lite'. This theory holds that evolution is not a proven fact and nature is so complex that it betrays the existence of 'a designer'. Without being explicit there is little doubt the designer is intended to be God."

Seriously, what competent, free thinking person believes in this shit.

On a completely unrelated note, I was reading this article in the NY Times the other day. The first sentence is as follows (for those of you too lazy to click through):
"In Hillsborough County, Fla., local officials voted unanimously in June to ban convicted sex offenders from public hurricane shelters."
Is that during an actual hurricane? I'm just curious. Anyhow, the article makes some really great points regarding other laws that are in the works around the country. People are kind of screwed up some times, and I don't mean the sex offenders.

With October almost a third of the way over, that means college basketball season is coming up soon. I'm glad we finally got cable at the house, now all we need is call and get ESPN2 like we are supposed to. Also, hockey is back. The Flyers lost last night, Philly fans are in a state of panic already. Go figure. Morons.

I was cleaning out my bookmarks (I have a compulsion to bookmark everything funny or interesting I ever find) and started looking at my friend Al's site, There's Nothing to Do in Pawtucket (including update his, apparently). I suggest you go take a look at the comics and media section. They're pretty funny. Well, sort of. I don't know, just a thought. I suppose there really isn't anything to do in Pawtucket.

Here are a few other websites that I generally click through during the time I am trying to motivate myself to do work.

Speaking of having nothing to do, this website is pretty neat to waste an couple minutes (or an hour if you're me pretending to be working). I always find catharsis in popping the kids balloon. Seasons Greetings!

However, possibly the beat website for wasting time I've found is Modern Living. I go there frequently and see new stuff every time.

If you are in a sitting and staring mood, this may be the perfect anecdote. Or crutch. You pick.

Also this.

2 Comments:

Blogger OnLineDatingDiaries said...

Thanks for the email, wanted to drop by and check out your blog. It's hilarious. And I agree, I have family in the south and they should pretty much just form their own nation.

9:38 AM, October 09, 2005  
Anonymous Megan said...

lou...i love your blog. we just finished a discussion (right...) in biblical controversies on this subject and i feel the same way. i fear morons, like if they get too close, i'll get contaminated.

7:09 PM, October 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home