20 October, 2005

Brought to you by the letter 'K'

I've had a bit going on lately, which is always nice. I thrive on activity, though it affords me very little free time to do much else. However, today marks a landmark in my step toward journalistic success: I received payment for something I wrote. I got a check in the mail for two articles published in the Citypaper. I actually received monetary compensation for doing something I enjoy. I have already spent some of the money on the book New York Stories, culled from the City Section in the New York Times, which I plan on enjoying over the upcoming fall break.

Along the literary lines, I recently finished The Wheelman, written by former Collegian Editor-in-Chief and La Salle Alum Duane Swierczynski. I finished it in a little less than a day, not because it was easy to read (it was, a little bit), but because it compelled me to keep reading. S et in Philadelphia, the book had a familiarity that made the plot that much more interesting. It didn't hurt that there was a good deal of violence as well. I definitely suggest it to anyone who wants a quick but intriguing read.

I saw Duane give a reading/talk at B&N this evening with Drew, and he talked for almost an hour. He had some good insights into writing (appropriate, I suppose, as that is how he makes his living). He also talked about how he hates wasting words in his writing. I like the idea of brevity, as it is something I have been told to work on throughout my scholatsic career.

Furthering the same literary theme, I went to the La Salle library today. I suppose that was my first mistake. I was attempting to stock up for fall break reading, so I figured I would check out some of Duane's other stuff, as well as some recently published political stuff, particularly Dick Morris' new book Condi vs. Hilary. I was rejected on both accounts, however. Apparently, books by faculty and staff are un-available for checkout, and must be read in-house. Now I do like the library, but I don't particularly want to sit there and read an entire book. If they have books or other media that they want to keep on reserve, they should have another copy specifically for lending, in my opinion. I don't see why the library is even there if you can't check things out. It's more of a museum, I suppose.

This has happened before, notably with the Al Pacino movie Scent of a Woman. Apparently Pacino's character is a Vietnam vet, thus placing the movie in the special Vietnam Collection, which you can't even access without first talking to the director of special collections. Oh well. As well, the bookstore did not carry any of the books I was seeking to read over break, only some wonderful philosophical schlock. All over priced, of course.

Do any of you guys ever make odd mental associations? For example, every time I hear the name Paul Konerko (first baseman for the Chicago White Sox), I think of the line in Grease about a "hickey from Kanicky." No particular reason aside from their names both beginning with the letter 'K.' I'm not sure where these associations come from, but there are quite a few of them in my life. Two seemingly un-related things come together in my mind and are forever cemented as a singular thought. Another particular one of mine has to do with the song "Sometimes True to Nothing" by The Slip. Every time I hear the song, particularly the Banjo and guitar parts, I think of the Badly Drawn Boy song "Coming In To Land," only I always think it is by the Flaming Lips. It's pretty odd, I know, but I still think of it every time I listen to the song.

To finish, here is something I found very comforting:
You Passed 8th Grade Math

Congratulations, you got 8/10 correct!
Could You Pass 8th Grade Math?

Later this weekend, possibly tomorrow or Saturday, I will attempt to update on something of relevancy, as had been the trend before the tangent on the UFC.

One final link courtesy of Drew.

2 Comments:

Anonymous PatrickH said...

Hey Lou. You can borrow my copy of Secret Dead Men if you want. I haven't started it yet, but I don't see myself starting it in the near future.

1:09 AM, October 21, 2005  
Blogger Duane Swierczynski said...

Thanks for the kind words, Lou. You always were my favorite Collegian staffer. Not like that Pat Hogan guy...

Kidding, Pat, kidding!

12:06 AM, October 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home