11 October, 2005

Little Things

Last Years race in Camden turned out poorly for many competitors

This weekend, the Pentagon sponsored a robotic car race across the Mojave Desert in Nevada. The cars were completely automated, with no human involvement during the race. Sounds like a lot of nerdery to me.

The race was moved to the Mojave this year after last year's race in Camden saw all but two competitors knocked out of the race by getting their tires slashed/stolen. The other two competitors were carjacked and thus broke the rule demanding that cars be un-manned.

I'm always very happy with myself when I accomplish some task that seems very banal on the surface, such as taking my old bar of soap and getting it to stick to the new bar of soap. Trite, I know, but it makes me happy.

Whenever I see that my bar of soap is getting low, I always get a new one and try to put the two together, and inevitably it takes a day or two to get it right. Afterwards, though, I always feel quite accomplished. Some commedian talked about doing that. I forget who, but I suppose that's the point of observational humor.

On Pardon the Interruption this afternoon, Richard Justice said, in regards to the ALCS, that:
"It'll be fine if the Yankees or Red Sox aren't in the ALCS. They'll move the games to the Home Shopping Network and that screaming you'll hear will be coming from the comissioners office."
So true. I know I'll be watching all of the baseball playoffs (sorry Gwen), but a lot of interest on the East Coast will be lost. That aside, go Angels! And if it comes down to it, go Houston!

Speaking of baseball, this article/interview is pretty awesome. If you thought that Ozzie Guillen was outspoken and teetering on the deep end, Carl Everett, while a good baseball player, is officially insane. And Christian! Excerpts include:
"I'm not bashing gays as people,'' he said. ''I'm against their lifestyle. I'm against the act of homosexuality because it is a sin. It is against God's will...People don't realize that the same God who destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah because of homosexuality can also destroy our world today."
Interesting... Moving along.

''I've never been a ladies' man, but there's been fornication [in his life],'' he said. ''I had sex before I was married. But once I got married, it was on. Come November, we will have been married for 12 years.''
"It was on?" Ha ha, ladies love Carl Everett.
"Has he always been faithful?
''Not in all cases,'' he said. ''She knows. I did it away from her. But I'm quite sure she still prays for me. [God] keeps me. But those demons are still going to come. That's why I say it's tough to live holy and resist temptation because those demons get prettier and prettier. Their bodies get better and better. It's one of the toughest fights I've had in my life."
The bodies of the demons get better and better. See for reference Drew's article on the Sexy Witch.


Speaking of sex offenders (which I wasn't really... well, not in this post) check this out. Dude has enough problems aside from being a sex offender, it seems.

Anyhow, I have a review in the Citypaper this week, check it out. It was definitely an interesting book. Click here.

1 Comments:

Blogger GonzoMC said...

Responding to your last comment, Lou, my understanding is that normally Chicago is divided among geographical (certainly not racial) lines as to rooting for baseball teams. The South side is all about the White Sox, and U.S. Cellular Field is at S. 35th St. right off the expressway, and the Cubs' Wrigley Field is nestled into yuppie central right by the lake. Apparently there's a growing united Chicago front now that the Sox are in the playoffs. Go figure.

3:50 AM, October 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home