05 January, 2006

Music is pretty cool, I guess

I'm a big fan of music, and like many others who claim the same, I have my list of albums. Not albums that are 'the best ever' or a 'top ten' or anything, just albums I can listen to at, really, any given moment. Like, those albums you listen to when you can't figure out what you want to listen to. I know Tsikitas may appreciate this list, or at least the concept. In no particular order:

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
Radiohead - OK Computer
The Slip - Angels Come on Time
Weezer - Pinkerton
Mike Doughty - Rockity Roll
Matt Pond PA - Several Arrows Later
At the Drive In - Relationship of Command
Bjork - Medulla
American Nightmare - Background Music
The Alkaline Trio - From Here to Infirmary
Saves the Day - Can't Slow Down
Converge - You Fail Me
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity
Thursday - War all the Time

Speaking of music, on the ride home from Boston the other day I listened to Fall Out Boy's From Under the Cork Tree, the CD with they have ridden to fame. Anyhow, after listening to about half of it, I figured out why I liked it so much. They sound exactly like Brand New, mixed in with a little bit of Saves the Day. Also, they ripped off Dexy's Midnight Runners just a hair. But mostly it's their striking resemblance to Brand New. Not that it's a bad thing, I guess. I still listened to and liked the whole album.

If you like music and enjoy finding out about some stuff you perhaps may not have heard, you should check out Pandora. It categorizes songs by different qualities, so when you say you like a song it plays other songs like that one. The more you listen the better songs come up because it narrows down your likes and dislikes. Kind of sweet, really.

This is a pretty great website with some good essays by people who aren't hacks such as myself. It's much better reading than this blog, I assure you.

Great picture of the leader of the church of satan with John Kerry, who appears to be making quite the case for his liberal standing. Too bad it's from the 80's.

My dad got his head shaved for charity, and I took a bunch of pictures. He collected over $250, which is great. And now he's completely bald. I like it. I think it looks a bit cleaner than the longer hair, which is good. I also scored a pair of hair clippers out of the deal because he's not using them anymore.

My own personal goal is to be able to grow a full beard and shave my head, but I don't think that's ever going to happen, on account of my facial hair lodging a protest of the entirety of my cheeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home