16 March, 2006

Ireland

The island of Inishmore as seem from the Fort of Donangus

Before this post gets rolling I should send a hefty congratulations to Jim, who just got in to MIT for grad school. He's smart. And very, very humble.

Also, Drew has interviews for a full time position at the fund for which he's been working for two years now, and an interview for a position at a summer program in NY. Both are pretty awesome, and I'm sure he'll update on that at some point or another when he finds out.

Anyhow, I just got back from a 10-day trip to Ireland, the southwest of the country to be exact. It was pretty fun, and I took a good deal of pictures. No, I didn't drink a whole lot, but I wasn't really going there to spend the time hungover on a bus. Sandiford does snore like a bear, by the way.

The trip was interesting, mostly rocks and sheep, repeat repeat repeat. The hills there, or what they call mountains, are really squat throughout the whole country, which was kind of disconcerting coming from the US, where a mountain is a mountain.

I liked Galway the best, out of the towns we went to, although Kinsale has a brewery which makes a beer good enough to warrant moving there. I think what I enjoyed most though was the island of Inishmore (the big island). There are only 730 people living on the whole island, and they speak Gaelic in everyday conversation. I think what I liked most about it was the fact that the whole island was covered in loose rock and no soil when it was first inhabited, but the settlers cleared all the fields by hand and made soil from seaweed and sand. The whole island is a series of short rock walls that were erected by hand over years and years. It is quite the feat of human diligence.

It was interesting to hear the different dialects and accents there, as well as the various vernacular and ways of speech. I had to get used to military time as everything over there in the newspaper is listed as such. Also, instead of saying 'six thirty,' people say 'half six,' which I took to be 'five thirty' until I finally caught on. Then there's the fact that instead of saying 'excuse me,' people just use 'sorry' as a cover all for trying to get past someone in a pub to spilling a drink all over someone. And most people will call you mate and say cheers in conversations, even when alcohol isn't involved.

Anyhow, The trip was pretty decent, and perhaps I will just post up some pictures in a day or two with labels instead of rambling on and on as I have here. Taking pictures in Ireland is somewhat of a nightmare combined with the best ever. The light constantly changes, so it's hard to get the camera to focus right so that there aren't really dark and really light spots in the picture.

I get to paint a nude model this afternoon in Oil Painting. I guess I shouldn't complain; it's my only class today. I've only had one class a day all week, which is pretty awesome. I still can't wait to graduate. If I can't find a job after college I'm moving to Ireland to work here. Or here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul Tsikitas said...

Ireland is on my list of places to see. Those pictures are already awesome. Can't wait to see more. Glad to hear Dandiford snores like a bear. That will give me a goofy dream if I sleep tonight.

1:33 AM, March 17, 2006  
Blogger Jessica said...

Ireland looks goregous! It's enough to make anyone want to move, with or without the beer (though the beer doesn't hurt!)

2:42 PM, March 17, 2006  
Blogger d said...

I really like the perspective in your pictures. Good job.

6:39 PM, March 18, 2006  
Blogger GonzoMC said...

Welcome back man, can't wait for some more pics.

8:15 PM, March 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home