05 April, 2006

Backstage is boring on Wednesdays

It's a good thing the Sox got rid of Bronson Arroyo. He went 6 and a third, struck out 7 and homered in his debut with the Reds. Not too shabby. And his hair didn't look like it was a cruel Manny Ramirez joke. Willy Mo Pena better hit 30+ home runs this year off the bench...

The Maryland women's team won the national championship in the women's tournament. I finished 1,204 among all brackets for the women's tournament of ESPN.com. I had all of the final four teams save LSU, and picked MD to win. If only I would have done better in the earlier rounds... Ant to think, I put thought in to my men's bracket this year (finished dead least in my pool and 2,247,888 in the nation overall) and filled out my women's bracket in under 20 seconds. New strategy next year...

Only two more issues of the Collegian left to go. Ever. It's kind of sad, in a way. I remember going down there for the first issue being put out my freshman year and copy editing. I remember getting an editor position halfway through the year. I remember Adam half drunk with tin foil on his head. It's been a fun four years, and a long four years. I am, however, happy with the editors for next year, for the most part, and I think (hope) they'll do a fine job.

I like to read, but like Drew, I really hate cop-outs. They're cheap, and they tell me the writer didn't really think over what or who their characters are before putting them in certain situations, or that they are too lazy to go back and revise a previous chapter or section of their work. I just finished the book Bel Canto, and when I finished it around 7am this morning, my Bill Wine Bullshit Meter (TM) went straight to terror alert red (or mauve, it doesn't matter). It just annoys me when there is a convenient twist in a book that allows things to happen three pages from the end of a book that are completely not validated. I mean, yes, if you're reading a murder mystery or suspense novel or something, then sure, surprise me. However, this book is completely based on the characters and their development together as a group, I felt really cheated after reading the last few pages.

Drew, and anyone really: if I ever write a book, or short story, or something in which I take the same liberties I have just claimed to despite, I give you full rights to never let me forget it. Or, you know, give me a swirlie. It's up to you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Drew said...

Done. I'll take the swirlie option, please.

12:10 AM, April 06, 2006  
Blogger Face of Spades said...

Yeah, seconded.

11:40 AM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger GonzoMC said...

I was jealous seeing the group pic from the formal the other night. And yes, I was half drunk with tin foil on my head as I looked at it.

4:47 PM, April 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home