27 November, 2006

Catchy jingle, shiesty service

After the denial for a credit card through Citizens Bank came in the mail, I signed up with freecreditreport.com to run a check on my credit. I wanted to know just why I was denied, and I figured it had something to do with my lack of credit to this point in my life.

I've accrued some 'credit' as it were, from having bills in my name and having a clean banking record with both Citizens and Wachovia, and my credit score seemed pretty decent. I know I should have a credit card, I was trying to get one, and I plan to continue my efforts to that extent.

However, I found out shortly after signing up that freecreditreport.com is something of a huge scam, wherein they give you a month for free and then charge you $80 for a year of monitoring. Also, it is really hard to cancel, as there is no real information on their site that leads you directly to a page where you can cancel or a number to call.

After some quick searching online, I found that there are hosts of people who have fallen afoul of this scam as well. I also found that they got in a bit of trouble with the FTC over their practices. I also found the address and number to their office in California, which I called this afternoon. I have only been signed up for two weeks, so there shouldn't be any charges on my card.

For anyone who was, is, or is thinking about signing up for that service, the address and number to cancel are here:

Consumerinfo.com
One City Blvd. Suite 401
Orange, Ca, 92868
Phone: (888) 888-8553,
Fax: (978) 978-0059

If that doesn't work try calling the Garden City Group at (888) 988-2229

The umbrella company may have signed you up under any one or more of the following smaller companies: CIC Credit Monitor SVC; Consumer Info; Consumer Information; creditmatters.com; freecreditreport.com; homeradar.com; I Place; I Play Innings; QSpace.com

That means if you've signed up with any of those companies and don't cancel now or sooner, you will be in a world of shit in terms of ever seeing your money again.

When I called I only waited on hold for a few minutes before being connected to an operator somewhere in India. Despite having to transfer twice, the whole cancellation process took under 7 minutes. Good time, considering that it took weeks to cancel Verizon services. The uplifting aspect of the whole process is that the operator said she was going to put me on hold for a minute while the cancellation was processed. I was sitting at my computer at the time, and while I was on hold, I received an e-mail saying that the triple advantage credit monitoring service was sad to see me go. Seconds later the operator returned, said my account had been canceled, and did I have any further questions. Kind of neat.

Now, if charges pop up on my card, even so much as a single penny, I will rescind this whole post and embark on what will surely be a series of irate phone calls. Until that time though, I found that the whole service was fairly easy to cancel. Not that they make it that way, but a few minutes of internet digging led me to an easy route.

I still don't have a credit card, though. Oh well.

There is nothing like spending your early evening reading through credit horror stories. No, seriously. Would I lie?

Thanksgiving was nice, no need to hash over the details. I can’t pick out a single moment when I was not full or on the brink of being full. That’s what the holidays are for. Gwen’s house was relaxing, and it was nice to see James and Glenn (as well as a smattering of other MM’s from camp.) I really do wish I could work next summer. If I am still jobless (full-time, anyway) and idle come May, we’ll see…

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post.

Yes, these guys are crooks peddling a near worthless service to provide you with information you should have access to for free.

In the future, go to www.annualcreditreport.com to for your free credit report. This is the government mandated site where you can receive a one credit report from each of the three agencies once a year.

If you're interested, I have written an article on the credit monitoring busniess and the sneaky tactics they use to lure people into these services.

Jeff

6:40 PM, November 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I see I've been beaten to the punch, but I too was going to tell you about annualcreditreport.com -- while they won't give you your credit number/score for free, you can view your report at least.

I've been going through the same thing (trying to get a credit card) -- and it's completely aggravating because even though I've never had any late fees on bills and don't have any loans I owe money on, I still have been having problems getting a credit card because I've never had one before. I finally applied and was accepted on a Bank of America card -- now it's been taking them forever to get it to me because they lost the first set of proof of address I sent them. Ugh. If it wasn't absolutely necessary to have one nowadays -- I'd stick to my good ol' debit/check card.

10:11 AM, November 28, 2006  
Blogger j. leo said...

Whoa. That consumernfo place is like less than a mile away from my old apartment. Who knew sunny but boring Orange was the hotspot for jackass credit companies?

On the bright side, if you (or anyone) want to add a personal touch and pay me to punch them in the face, I can do that. It's a short drive.

7:42 PM, December 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home