01 November, 2006

Musical Commentary Requested

I love one-hit albums. To that end, I've been thinking about what the 'Best (proposed) Second Singles from a One Hit Wonder album' could be. There are a lot of bands that are technically one hit wonders, from the music of my days alone, but I guess what I'm asking is what bands didn't desere to end up that way? I'd like ask any readers to throw their suggestions into the comments, and see what we can come up with. Paul, Stev, Drew, I know you guys will probably have something. They don't have to be actual second singles (which flopped, obviously) but they can be.

Here's a short list of folks or bands who had one and only one a single hit that I know of, that I could think of off the top of my head.
Fastball
Modern English
Superdrag
Lisa Loeb
Nada Surf
Del Amitri
Spin Doctors
The Buggles
Tommy Tutone
Timbuk 3
Nena
Falco
Meredith Brooks
...Let's hear it.

There are two Supreme Court justices from Trenton New Jersey. Antonin Scalia and Samuel Alito Jr. The other justices are from places widely spread around the United States: Melrose Ma, Sacramento, Ca, Pin Point (Savannah), Ga. But there are TWO, from the same shitty city in the same shitty state. Wonder of wonders.

Let's play a game, it's called 'what's in the box on the left?' Hint: It's not canned goods, cash, or anything that's actually helpful. I detest U2. Bono, and the whole band, seems two-faced. I've always thought that if you're going to get into music for the money, say so. Don't put a veil of altruism over your own greed. Anyhow, I love reading things like this. They make me feel validated in my opinion of the band as a whole. Also, their music has turned into complete crap. As I was writing this post I was listening to the Joshua Tree album. I really do like this album (and most of their early work), I just hate the political agenda that's been slathered over everything they do as a band now. As a sidenote, the song 'Bullet the Blue Sky' sounds like the entire Sixteen Stone album by Bush.

In no particular order, here is a list of albums I have been listening to and enjoying lately:
Passion 'The Fierce Urgency of Now'
Regina Spektor 'Begin to Hope'
Hellogoodbye 'Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!'
One Dead Three Wounded 'Moving Units'
Nirvana 'Unplugged in New York'
Norma Jean 'Redeemer'
Blues Traveler 'Four'
Bob Dylan 'Banjo Tape / NYC Town Hall'

I've been reviewing music for Wonkavision's new reviews website. Check it out weekly. Mediocrity ho!

And finally, here's a list of the lists in this blog:
One hit wonders,
Supreme Court Judge Hometowns,
Why I don't like U2,
Albums I've been listening to,
This list

5 Comments:

Blogger Paul Tsikitas said...

You pose an excellent question there. So here is what I can think of off the top of my head and with my music library in front of my face to add to the mix:

Juliana Hatfield
The Rentals
Fountains of Wayne (Yeah I said it... listen to other songs by them... I swear.)
Cracker
The Verve Pipe
Polaris (more or less a joke, but I love them for Pete and Pete value alone.)

That's all I got right now. It was really the plague of the 90s. Some amazing one hit songs followed by better follow-ups (or at least comprable ones) that got little to no airplay. Nada Surf is such a great example of this. Although High/Low is a good album, Let Go and the most recent one are soo much better. Just goes to prove that hits dont mean jack.

6:13 PM, November 02, 2006  
Blogger Paul Tsikitas said...

Addendum:

Agreed on U2. Used to be one of my all time favorite bands, but now even their late catalogue makes me shudder. It's like, "Hey Bono, remember when you had songs that actually rocked, but now you'd rather give yourself a sloppy political fake blowjob and produce trash that makes Justin Timberlake's album 'Justified' sound decent?"

I miss the days of The Unforgettable Fire and War when they were politically motivated, but stuck it to their lyrics and not to their personas.

Grr!

And that is pretty funny that you say "Buller the Blue Sky" was pretty much the "Blue"print for Sixteen Stone. HA! IT'S FUNNY CUZ ITS TRUE!

6:19 PM, November 02, 2006  
Blogger raymi lauren said...

what do the yellow dots by the link names mean?

7:52 PM, November 02, 2006  
Anonymous Dad said...

Dexy's Midnight Runners - "Come On Eileen"

10:05 AM, November 03, 2006  
Blogger Steve said...

For all intents and purposes, Ben Folds Five were one hit wonders (though Ben found minimal success as a solo artist). I was a huge fan of theirs in high school and always felt they deserved more.

Blur is another HUGE one for me. Fuckin Song 2 isn't all they've done!

Some others:
Cake
The Church
Echo & The Bunnymen
Doves (It's funny...their one hit is far and away their worst song)
Eels

Those are a few for now

11:55 AM, November 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home