08 December, 2006

Faster: A bullet, or a Zumaya fastball?

Normally I would post things of this nature in Either Insurance Runs or (newly) Need to Go For a Safety. However, this caught my eye in a broader sense than simply sports. This one can be filed under complete lunacy.

In an article on ESPN which has obviously been in the works for some time (see the full text here), three writers interview professional athletes about their firearm carrying habits. The results, and quotes, are surprising. I point you to the picture of Karl Malone firing a bolt-action camouflage rifle. His nickname is 'The Mailman,' and so I ask you, what idiot sold this man a gun? You'll note Malone at left, shooting off a few rounds on his private range.

And why does Astros Outfielder Luke Scott need to carry a glock in the waistband of his pants while driving around the city at 1am? That's right, Luke Scott packs heat. Not only does he pack it, he shoots it on a range and intimidates would-be thieves at the gas station.

Luke Scott on his gun:

"An athlete gets paid a lot of money," he said. "And someone who is after that, a thief, a mugger or someone who steals from people, they are taking a chance with the law that if they get caught, they are going to jail or face some other problem."

With a broad smile, he added, "In my case, you are going to get shot."

Then there's NFL'er Jay Williams, who is an arms dealer in his spare time. That's right, when he's not on the field or in the weight room, he's selling guns. Gleefully, I might add.

I'm sorry, but this is purely insane. Some athletes have gone off of the deep end with this gun thing. NBA players making millions are still leading around posse's and carrying guns. This is pretty much unnecessary. I like firing a gun myself, but I can't really see that it's necessary to carry a handgun tucked into the front of my pants when I go to Wawa for a Red Bull.

Apparently, Carl Pavano carries a gun as well.

There are only a few people reading this that will nod their heads, but it really bothers me when, in a quote from Patriots receiver Jabbar Gaffney (whose name makes me think of Babbar the elephant), he says that "Lots of guys I know have weapons either in their house or, in places where you can carry it, they have a permit to carry it." It bothers me that he uses the word weapon instead of firearm, because it's not a weapon unless the plan is to use it as such. Sure, they carry guns for protection, but until you fire it in a deliberate act to kill or wound someone, it's a firearm.

I'm a fan of carrying a baseball bat. If I was trying to rob Dmitri Young and he pulled a Louisville from the passenger seat and took a swing at me, I'd be gone.

Anyhow, athletes are insane. Next time you're in Houston and you see Luke Scott, move slowly and keep your hands in plain view.

3 Comments:

Blogger James said...

In a case like Pavano, I think you should need a certain number of minimum innings pitched per season before you get to pack heat. I don't know, like... more than zero.

8:39 PM, December 09, 2006  
Blogger Gwen said...

funny, all i see is blah blah blah blah blah


love you.

1:39 AM, December 10, 2006  
Blogger William said...

I read the ESPN story after a friend told me about it... I googled it and stumbled upon your site.

I can say this: The criminal climate in Houston has changed SIGNIFICANTLY after Katrina and I can very well understand his particular fear. You might hear a little bit about this in the media, but most approach it delicately because of he whole race card. I am a concealed handgun carrier and cherish that right. In general I dont think folks who are trained how and when to use a firearm are the problem. Just my 2 cents... also, nice blog keep it up.

12:13 AM, December 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home