18 December, 2006

Hop on, bitches. There's plenty of room.

On your right, you'll notice Ed Reed denying Detroit TE Casey Fitzsimmons admittance to the 'Ravens Bandwagon,' which officially giddy's up this week. Last night on Sportscenter, Jaws was practically begging to get a piece of Kyle Boller. Kyle Freaking Boller! It still pisses me off when sports commentators say the Bears are a 'formidable defense' when they gave up 31 to Tampa Bay and 27 to the Rams. Same two weeks, Ravens style? 17 to Cleveland and 10 to Kansas City at Arrowhead.

Of course this means they tank next week at Pittsburgh, but hey they clinched a playoff spot on Sunday so that really won't matter too much. Would be nice to have the top seed, though. I know I'm rooting against the Colts and Bolts for the next two weeks. Also, watching the game on NFL's gamecast and seeing Boller's name pop up filled me with a fear of sheer terror.

So I'm more than likely not going to Ireland now, because the rules for getting a work Visa are changing drastically on January 1. Now a company or business in the EU has to sponsor your Visa application, which means they fill out the paperwork and advertise the job publicly to nationals, and interview any qualified applicants. Basically you're going to have one hell of a time trying to get a Visa for a job like the one for which I applied, plus the company said they don't sponsor people in that matter. I suppose it was a nice thought and something to try for in the future sometime.

On my desk at work sits a Christmas bush of sorts, placed there by a well-wishing fellow office inhabitant. The thing is huge and unsightly, and I hate it. I was working last week and she descended on my desk with a vase large enough to hold a basketball and a few pine clippings. A few turned in to a bunch as she made several trips to who knows where to get these clippings. Then, of course, came the gold balls and lights. And why not? It only took her about 15 minutes of puttering to get it fluffed, decorated, and perfectly situated on the corner of my desk, where it sits now, un-watered and dropping needles like it's got the mange.

"You need to get into the Christmas spirit," she tells me. "You don't seem like you're enjoying the Holidays." I wanted to tell her that I'm perfectly content being filled with holiday cheer in my own way (read: I don't have to be here for a week). I wanted to reply that yes, the bush did bother me, especially since everyone who walks by feels the need to comment on it so that the awkward silence that is working in this office is alleviated somehow. She walked by my desk today with a similarly sized vase of pink tiger lilies, and I sat mortified in fear that she was only going to water them and then put them on my desk for 'motivation,' incentive,' or some other horrible word that gets thrown around on occasion. At least this hideous thing nearly shields me from the rest of the office. Privacy at last!

Only three more days at Penn, then I have a week off. It's going to be tough getting the motivation to come back at all. May, where are you?

I gave Gwen one of her Christmas presents early: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. This was going to be a Christmas present last year, then a birthday present, then a whenever present, and now full circle to Christmas again; that's how long she (and I) have been waiting for it's long delayed release. I wanted her to be able to play it in the days she has off leading up to the holiday, because after the 26th she's busy at work again and won't have as much time to devote to video games. Of course, my giving her the game wasn't entirely for that purpose. I love watching the Zelda games, and really couldn't wait to see this one. Since giving her the game on Friday night (Sat. morning) at 12:30, she's played it for 16 hours. I've watched for about 14 of those hours.

The weather outside is decidedly frightful, assuming that you think the idea of a 50 degree day in late December is frightening. What the hell is going on? When's is going to get cold and stay cold?

1 Comments:

Blogger S'orlok Reaves said...

FYI, I have been freezing since I arrived here. I went biking today and thought I would die. As I ended up in Pawtucket, I probably came close.

Is Twilight Princess any good? Does it keep the Zelda "feel"?

By the way, I feel your holiday pain. The Christmas spirit is well and alive in my home, but some of the "salt of the earth" overdo it just a bit... you can tell, because these are the kinds of people that often delight in giving you an ornament, i.e., some object used to decorate some other object which is far removed from Christmas joy. People don't give each other Christmas trees, for goodness sake. Oh, wait...

Stay jolly!
-->Seth

2:02 PM, December 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home