12 December, 2006

Is it like, a full moon tonight or something?

This morning was kind of nuts before my day even really began. I rode to Penn through a huge traffic jam just across the South St. bridge due to some roadwork blocking all but one lane. Of course, as I'm going through that construction, this stupid woman almost levels me on her ancient Vespa as she turns out of a side street into the bike lane. I loudly informed her that she is an asshole and to get the hell out of the bike lane; then I noticed that she looks mildly familiar. Of course! This woman parks her Vespa outside of my building daily because she goes to Penn Law. Anyway I beat her to Penn by a long shot, since she got back into the regular lane like a good motored vehicle should.

Sooo, I finally roll up to work, lock my bike, smile because Vespa woman is still stuck in traffic and will likely miss the start of her class, and head across the street to Bucks County Coffee.

As I'm waiting for my bagel to be toasted (bagels are the cheapest thing on the menu...and so good!) I noticed something odd about the guy sitting in the corner. While he was talking to his friend, he was deftly dismantling a green bell pepper with a skinning knife. Not, say, a small pocketknife, but a full-size knife used for skinning and cleaning game animals. Who does this, in the middle of a coffee shop none the less? And who carries a skinning knife, which requires a sheath and everything, honestly? Psychos, man.

The woman working the security desk at Penn asked me this morning "How come you sign in every day?" Note that yesterday she asked me for my fucking ID. Continuing. When I gave her the most quizzical of looks, she says, "you're here every day, why do you always sign in?" Luke Scott take note: this, people, is why carrying a firearm is a really bad idea. Seriously, I was so pissed at her I could have reached over the desk and smacked her. Not the brightest idea in a school filled with lawyers. I'm bringing a blood sample tomorrow because this woman is out of her mind.

The NY Times crossword today has fangs and looks evil. I'm not kidding. Did anyone else notice this? My day has gone to hell quite quickly, that's for sure.

If you're reading this, go sign up to be on last.fm. If you listen to music at all ever, you'll love it.

Speaking of music, I know that some of you who read this don't really do the whole 'discovering new artists on a regular basis' thing well. I do, though. For those of you who are like minded, have you ever sat on a CD for a while and just not listened to it for no real reason. I did this with Sylvie Lewis' album Tangos and Tantrums. I can't believe I never listened to this before, it's brilliant. I've had it in my CD collection since before it was released (it was sent to me as the entertainment editor of the Collegian way back when.)

She has such a haunting voice, and is a genuinely good singer. Kind of like an older, more mature Regina Spektor. Easier to understand and less of the staccato screaming vocal style, though. Of course, it thrills me that she writes all her own music and lyrics.

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul Tsikitas said...

I'll mae note of this Sylvie Lewis as I am in a big Emily Haines kick right now and lady singer/songwriters in general.

Also, although I guess I had listened to a track on iTunes, but I still haven't gotten the friggin' iSproggler to work. I finally figured it out though.

Oh yeah, and the new Google powered blogger...rules.

10:54 AM, December 12, 2006  
Blogger Paul Tsikitas said...

BTW, that vespa picture you have in your blog is form a movie I watched in my Italian class that was pretty hilarious. Nanni Moretti is a pretty hilarious director/actor. It was called Caro diario (Dear Diary) and was kinda great.

11:20 AM, December 12, 2006  
Blogger James said...

You fucking know it was wookie. Who else would be sitting in a coffee shop eating a green pepper with a skinning knife before NINE FUCKING AM. Obiviously he's tracking you down so he can slit your throat then bomb the Wachovia Center or something.

Son of a bitch.

11:36 AM, December 12, 2006  
Blogger Lou said...

It wasn't wookie, but it may be a minion or disciple. Possibly the newly enhanced Wook-tron 5000.

I just wanted to get the hell away from that guy. I need not mention that he had not established a proper 'blood circle.'

2:16 PM, December 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home