13 December, 2006

Streams of Whiskey et. al

I realized today from their website that not only were The Pogues the subject of a very comprehensive and well-authored book by Carol Clerk released in October, but they re-mastered all five of their studio albums and re-released them. Not only that, but each disc has six(!) extra tracks that weren't on the original studio albums, and one of them has 7. I know what I am spending my money on in the new year. This is up there with Tom Waits in terms of albums I need to get my hands on soon, although Waits still blows the Pogues out of the water.

Anyhow, the book, though, is what really interests me. There are extensive interviews with current and former Pogues, but that's not the real draw. Apparently, from the reviews I've since looked up, author Carole Clerk really gets the notoriously difficult Shane MacGowan to open up about things he hasn't discussed in years.

If you're unfamiliar with The Pogues, they are the ones that paved the way for the successes of bands like the Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly. Building on the successes of The Dubliners, and even further back the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, at playing Irish folk, The Pogues took the traditional Irish instruments and folk songs and infused them with the spirit of London's 80's punk scene, creating new life to a maligned style of music.

Of course their name is derived directly from the Gaelic phrase "Pogue Mahone," meaning kiss my ass. They're clever, they are.

On a slightly related note I have been exchanging e-mails with a woman from the Killary Adventure Company. Maybe something will come of that and I'll have a pretty sweet job come springtime. Posted below are two pictures from the area around Killary A.C. that I took this spring. It is right in the middle of an area known as the Famine Road, Co. Mayo. It's named this because it is the route by which people tried to get out of Ireland during the famine. Many died en-route because there is literally nothing in the area to speak of besides hills, rocks and sheep. Who knows. If I were to find a job in Ireland for a spell, I am certainly going to take it. Here's hoping.

Also, Rest in Peace Peter Boyle, La Salle's prodigal son. He died today at the age of 71. The Comm. Department is now accepting applicants for the right of Claim to Fame for the University.
Aasleagh Falls, just downstream from the town of Leenane.
Looking downstream from Aasleagh Falls toward a few houses built on the hillside.

1 Comments:

Blogger j. leo said...

Yes, with the old wizard gone, I hope to stake my claim in La Salle's prescence in Hollywood... or at least with that guy who does voice work on Family Guy.

5:25 PM, December 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home