16 December, 2006

We're going to observe the first law of rocking which is: Keep on Rocking

Fan - "Freebird!"
Doughty - "You're coming on stage and we're going to fight"

There's something to be said about the friendly antagonism of all-request shows. Doughty played for nearly two hours, with two songs planned out, taking requests from the audience for the rest of the time.

Probably one of the best experiences I've ever had with live music, despite the lack of high tech effects and huge crowds. Doughty is an fantastic songwriter and lyricist, in my opinion. He was a classmate of Ani DiFranco, herself considered a great lyricist and poet (not by me, but by some.) He turns 37 this coming year, when many artists are sinking into obscurity. He seems to have found his place in the world now, after breaking up Soul Coughing, being dropped from Warner Brothers, and fighting heroin addiction.

Grace came by at 8:30 or so and we headed to Teaneck, just outside of New York. Easy driving, light traffic. We got there just as Doughty was beginning his second song. I got a beer and settled in.

The crowd wasn't huge, probably about 60 or 70 people. More than I expected, but not enough that it wasn't a really intimate sort of show. There was enough room to move around, and the walls had booths and tables.

He has one of those voices that translates well to the live show, and he's never achieved that level of fame that seems to turn some bands and artists into complete, raging assholes. He plays without pretense, and I think that the audience last night seemed to appreciate that. People were really good about quieting down when he pointed someone out for a request, and once he started playing, the audience afforded him the respect of quiet, especially during very quiet songs like Janine. I was standing near the stage and could hear people in the back bar talking. It was a really surreal. experience.

I'm glad it was just he and bassist Andrew 'Scrap' Livingston. It was a much more personal experience. No offense to drummers, but sometimes the snare and cymbal crashes ruin the intimacy of a song for me, especially the ubiquitous crescendo at the end.

We stuck around after the show ended and hung out for a while, talking to both Mike and bassist Andrew 'Scrap' Livingston. Great guys both. It was nice to see an artist in that way, in an empty club after a show. He seemed so satisfied. A 30 date tour in front of Barenaked Ladies fans will do that to you, I guess.

The set list, as I mentioned, was fairly comprehensive. I could definitely listen to him play his entire catalog, but I also can't complain about a nearly two hour show by one of my favorite artists. I wanted to hear "All The Dirt" and "Sweet Lord in Heaven," but he did play pretty much every song of his that I like. I'm just upset that I missed the first song; it could have been anything, and I didn't think to ask someone.

Main Set
1. ?
2. True Dreams of Wichita
3. 27 Jennifers
4. Down On the River By The Sugar Plant
5. I Hear the Bells
6. Your Misfortune
7. Shunned and Falsified
8. A Frog Playing A Banjo
9. Thank You Lord For Sending Me the F Train
10. Rising Sign
11. Soft Serve (SC)
12. Real Love
13. Untitled New Song
14. Madeline and Nine
15. Unsingable Name
16. Ani DiFranco "Fire Door" mix
17. Circles (SC)
18. Grey Ghost
19. Busting Up a Starbucks
20. Looking at the World from the Bottom of a Well
Encore 1
21. The Gambler
22. Janine (SC)
Encore 2
23. Ossining
24. Looks

There are a few more unedited pictures up on Webshots here, and Doughty posted a few photos I sent him on his blog here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "Untitled New Song" is called Put it Down. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMQkSromk68&mode=related&search=

I also went to the Friday show, which I thought was a fantastic show. If he ever plays a Maxwell's in Hoboken you should definitely go. The venue is really small but he plays a hell of a show there.

P.S. Someone uploaded pretty much all of Saturday's performance on youtube.

2:02 PM, December 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home