31 January, 2007

Holla!

Which awkward picture of a rapper and political personality do you find more enticing to caption in a humorous manner?
Prince Charles and Jay Z, or
Barak Obama and Ludacris?

Jay Z and Charles seem to be having more fun (they also look like cats do when they're fighting mid-air), but Ludacris and Obama definitely look like they're holding it down. I have no context for either picture, but they've been on my hard drive for a while now and I figured I'd put the question out there. I'm partial to picture #1 myself, simply because Jay Z upstaged Charles suit-wise. No doubt that Charles looks positively frumpy next to Jay.

In other funny political goings on, watch this video. It's funny, but scary at the same time. These are basic questions being posed here, to a population of people able to vote. Granted, I'm sure this took a few hours to film, and that these are but a small portion of the people interviewed, but still... A few choice quotes:
Jogger: I'm a little bit mixed up over the Palestinians and the Israelis... Which one is throwing the rocks?

and later:

Interviewer: Which state does KFC come from?
Jogger: I don't know! I really don't know?
Interviewer: Do you know what KFC stands for?
Jogger: Kentucky Fried Chicken, right?
Of course, this is coming from the SAME GUY! Wow.
Interviewer: What is Al-Qaeda
Rando guy: A group in Israel that does suicide bombs and stuff...And the president of it is Yasser Arafat...Everybody knows that!
The eternal writers debate.

If you don't like clowns, this is not the page you want to see. Terrifying.

Between the ages of 12 and 15 is a time when, it seems, kids are looking for something by which to identify themselves. A sport perhaps, or an affinity for video games. This is where the polarization begins in preparation for full bloom into the latter years of high school. People identify themselves as skaters, thugs, jocks and whatnot. It's not a bad thing, and it often carries over a bit in to college.

For me, it was music. I listened to a lot of oldies like Buddy Holly when I first got in to music, but quickly moved on to the likes of Green Day, leading to the Descendents (at left) and to punk in general. I identified myself with that type of music; Bad Religion, NOFX, Minor Threat, Judge, etc. I didn't really listen to much else, because I was in to 'punk' and not that other 'crap.'

Of course I was lying to myself. When other people who also identified themselves by the music they listened to would ask me about my listening habits, I would inevitably rattle off a list of accepted bands, a wise mix of the commonly accepted and the deliciously obscure. I was big into local bands (there's no way I'm going to lay out a list here, but I'll say two words: Sasquatch Genocide) and loved the double take people would do when I told them what I listened to.

The thing was, I always listened to other stuff as well, but never identified myself with it. I mean, what 13 year old kid tells his little punk friends he listens to Simon & Garfunkel and the The Who's Tommy soundtrack? Yeah, not me that's for sure. My house had a collection of records from both my parents, and I used to listen to them regularly; Sly and the Family Stone, The Beatles, Elton John, etc. But I never identified with them, only listened. I used to tune in to country radio too, but again didn't identify with it.

I realized the other day that I'm over that. I just listen to what I like. If I'm in a mood to listen to the distorted catastrophe of Converge, then I do. If I want to hear both discs of Garth Brooks' performance in Central Park, I do. And if I want to listen to Tommy, I go right ahead; maybe even watch the movie, if I feel. I realized this the other day when I was at the bakery and brought in Sylvie Lewis' 'Tango's and Tantrums.' It's not something I would have admitted listening to when I was younger. Come on, a jazzy female singer doesn't really seem like something I'd thoroughly enjoy, and in the past I would have been concerned about the image I was projecting to other people.

Not so much, now. If I like it I'll listen to it, and if someone asks I'll tell them what I think of it. I can only imagine what people my age were saying about bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit back when I was in to them. Probably the same things I say about My Chemical Romance and Panic! at the Disco now...

Okay, now that that's all over, I want this CD. Someone get it for me. Thanks! Seriously though she's a really good singer, kind of a mix between the aforementioned Sylvie Lewis, Regina Spektor and Ani DiFranco. Also the Dresden Dolls, but only a little bit.

OH I heard some great news today. Radiohead is releasing a new album eventually, apparently due out later in the year. But, the new work is described by Thom as similar to OK Computer "but much more terrifying." Sounds good to me, I love OK Computer, and wouldn't mind listening to something even darker.

Stanley Donwood, who does their cover art, is pictured painting during their latest jaunt in the studio. Potential album cover? Here's hoping. Looks like the OK Computer insert in a way.

Fat kids in Britain are rejoicing, and simultaneously mourning their sudden lack of highly caloric options.

And finally, congratulations to Pat Hogan, who made the news out in New Mexico. Literally. His article was on the front of the Farmington Daily Times Travel section. Check it out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

That "new Radiohead" was supposed to be out around this time of the year originally. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Thom Yorke comment was in regards to a projected February 2007 release.

This new album has a lot to live up to. Sure, they worked on other stuff in the meantime (Thom's Eraser, Johnny's Bodysong, The Harry Potter Movie), but it's 4 years now since the last.

2:13 PM, January 31, 2007  
Blogger PatrickH said...

Hey, thanks for the plug! I've been seriously neglectful of my blog reading as of late, but I think I finally got this whole RSS feed thing down, so hopefully I can return the favor at some point.

The article? Not the best I've written. Frankly, it's not even a travel article, but the Lifestyles editor called me two days before press desperately seeking something, and with a chance for a section front, I wasn't about to say no.

3:30 AM, February 06, 2007  
Blogger Lauren said...

sasquatch genocide... amazing local band for a 15 year old, i just busted out my old cd and had a nostalgic 20 minutes of skanking, since of course that's how long the entire cd is

12:35 AM, October 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home