18 January, 2007

I detest Tim McCarver even in the talkies

Watched The Scout yesterday. It's such a ridiculous movie, almost to the point of being too much so. The most ridiculous part is George Steinbrenner, who plays himself. It's so true to life when Lane Smith asks him how much he's willing to spend on Encino Man, and he says "whatever it takes." Oh then there's the part where he takes credit for everyone else's good idea.

Best line though? Albert Brooks calls Lane Smith from a telephone in Mexico:

Brooks - "You don't have to yell, this is a different phone."
Smith - "It has nothing to do with the phone, I just like yelling at you."

Classic. Since it was filmed in '94, it kind of reminds me of watching Seinfeld, Keith Hernandez and all.

I've been listening to Garth Brooks a lot this week. I remember a time in Western Civ. class in high school when we were going around the room saying what we wanted to do professionally, and I jokingly said I wanted to be a country singer. Mr. Snyder, whose first name is Jason, consummate slacker that he was (is) wanted to waste as much class time as he could, so he said that if I got up and sang a country song in front of the class the next day, he would cancel an upcoming test (either that or cancel a homework, I don't remember; Drew?)

Anyhow, I got up and sang 'The River' the following day. Poorly, I imagine. I don't particularly remember a thunderous applause. Could have been worse. I could have broken my knee like the girl who, after she said she wanted to be a cheerleader, was asked to do a back flip on the hard tile floor. That ended poorly when she only made it 3/4 of the way around.

As an aside here, when I typed 'wanted to do professionally' in the previous paragraph, I really wanted to type 'want to do when you grow up' but that sounds so awkward now at 22.

Mr. Snyder was an altogether ridiculous teacher in general. He was a fairly young guy, probably about 25 or 26 if I had to guess. I'm sure everyone had someone like him in their high school. He scrawled on the board illegibly with chalk which he also got all over himself, and seemingly did not care about wasting as much class time as he could. He'd enter in to these long discussions about things not having to do with whichever social studies class he happened to be teaching, assign some reading at the end of class, and call it a day.

He was one of those teachers against whom students love to test their boundaries. I remember him throwing Dan Seeberger's book through the third floor window one day because Dan refused to close it when asked. It also happened to be raining that day. It seems as if He has left John Carroll and is now working at the University of Denver High School. I wonder how he's getting along out there...

This is a minor pet peeve of mine, but maybe someone out there shares it. Some background first. I work four days a week, in general, since I can only work 30 hour weeks (I'm part time). Usually, those days are Mon-Thurs, then I come in on Friday only to pick up my check. The Daily Pennsylvanian, Penn's student newspaper, carries the New York Times crossword puzzle, and so I usually do it every day. Now to the pet peeve aspect. I hate when I have Monday off, because I have to work Tues-Fri, which means I have to start my puzzle week off on Tuesday. I know this is a minor thing, but starting with the easy Monday puzzle makes it easier to build up to the Friday puzzle. When I skip Monday's, I generally find that by the time Friday rolls around I can't get as many answers as I usually do. Annoying, but it's life.

Amazing underground exploring mission behind Niagara Falls. The people that do this sort of thing are out of their minds.

Also, I think about next Monday's episode of 24 for at least 45 minutes out of each hour I'm awake. By the time this season is over, I will have dedicated more brainpower to thinking about the show than I will have actually watching it and wasted more words on this journal over that show than any other single topic. Count on it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bluemonkey216 said...

Hey,

I came across your blog by searching for my old high school on google. I graduated from the University of Denver High School and Jason Snyder was both my advisor and my AP European History teacher. I gather from your description that he was not your favorite teacher, and some of the things that you said are correct. He does have a limited attention span at times and he certainly enjoys joking around (which generally involves a fair amount of sarcasm). That said, I learned more from my AP Euro class than any other class I have ever taken, and that includes my college classes. It is true that Snyder could get off topic at times, however, more often than not my class was engaged in substantive discussions. My point is this: Snyder is certainly not perfect, and it is possible that his teaching skills grew between the time that you had him as a teacher and the time that I did; however, he was by far the best teacher I have ever had and the 5 I got on my AP test is certainly proof enough of that.

3:28 AM, June 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home