22 January, 2007

Okay, campers, rise and shine. Don't forget your booties, because it's cold out there today.

Winter is finally here. I'm happy. I'm also well prepared, as there isn't any heat in my office so I've been wearing a big jacket to work for months. Let me re-phrase that: there is heat, but the place is two and a half stories tall inside, so it kind of rises up and escapes out of the million drafty windows. 'Nuff said.

I met the last Eagles fan still standing on the corner of 20th and Chestnut a few days back. I was waiting at the light, on my bike, and he was waiting to cross the street. The guy seemed a little un-kept, possibly one of the type that asks for cigarettes and change all the time. He didn't ply me for either, but instead asked if I was following football this year.
"Sure," I responded. Some playoff games last weekend right?"

"You think the birds are gonna do anything this year?" he asked.

"I don't know, I don't follow the offseason trades really" was my reply.

"Yeah, but like, this year. The playoffs man. You think the birds are gonna go anywhere this year?"
I thought I had mis-heard him, but I was mistaken. I didn't have the heart to tell him they'd lost just that past weekend. Maybe he was still in shock. Either way it made me smile.

Read this article and tell me it doesn't sound eerily familiar despite it's age. My favorite part is where the writer says the Eagles do not have a talented receiver like Terrell Owens to carry them. Interesting...

I have little to no desire to watch the Super Bowl this year. All I can say is that I will be rooting for the NFC. That hasn't happened... ever. Lovie and Tony. Sounds like some sort of awful WB drama series. Also, I'm glad the United States Saints love fest can now officially end. I'm sick of hearing how they cured an ailing city, and how Reggie Bush's tears are the cure for Cancer but since he's too much of a man to cry the world has to suffer or some shit.

Rage Against the Machine is getting back together, if only for a moment.

Biking to work this morning was fun, let me tell you. My bike doesn't really have tires adequate for dealing with moisture, much less snow and/or slush. When I stepped out of my front door this morning, I almost bit it outright on the front step. My foot slipped from under me, and my bike slid outward toward the street. I got my bearings, and headed toward work.

As I'm rolling downhill on Lombard toward the South St. bridge, I felt like I was being pelted with gravel, but I didn't think too much of it as I was trying to concentrate on rolling forward instead of say, sideways, which is where my bike wanted to go.

I rolled up to a traffic light and glanced down. Turns out I was being pelted with gravel, which was contained in the slush being kicked up by my tires. Of course I was wearing light pants, so I looked like some sort of house painter. Or some idiot who just rode his fender-less bike through 20+ blocks of slush.

24, hour 5 airs tonight. Jack Bauer wouldn't have lost to the Colts on a run up the middle.

I started a second job this weekend at the Flying Monkey Patisserie in Reading Terminal Market. It's only two days a week, Saturday and Sunday mostly, but it'll be a nice deviation from sitting at a desk.

I worked on Sunday for seven hours, but the time seemed to slide by. I practiced zen and the art of cookie-rolling, manufacturing a few hundred small cooking-dough balls for baking. The job, it seems, is just a lot of random tasks such as rolling cookie dough, icing cupcakes, and doing some dishes. Not too bad, really, and I get a little extra money too. Plus I get free coffee or espresso that isn't the crappy stuff from Backstage.

On an unrelated note I've watched 10 episodes of The Wire in the past two days. It's a very good show, one which Drew says is the best show on television. While I would tend to disagree, it is not because the show is of a lesser quality than others. Rather, because it's on HBO, it has some fundamental differences that allow it to be a much better show that if it aired on network TV. If you took the show and translated it to a prime time slot on Fox, NBC etc., there would have to be some major changes, and I think it would lose some of it's punch.

It's a good show, and I'm going to watch the second season just as soon as I finish the first one.

Hilarious.

As I typed this, I was listening to Journey's 'Open Arms' on repeat. So you know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Oy Vey said...

Hi, I know who you are!

Wait til you find MY blog.

Ha ha ha...

7:11 PM, January 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home