11 January, 2007

Thursday is the new Friday!

The Wednesday afternoon Simmons chat had a gem of a question that I thought I might share with anyone reading this corner of the interweb:
"Ethan, Seattle, WA: How taxing is this weekend going to be? Four prime playoff games, really not a single one that I don't want to watch...followed by A TWO DAY, FOUR HOUR 24 EVENT (what's your prediction for this season, by the way?). How am I supposed to go to work next week?

Bill Simmons: It's one of the all-time great weekends. I'm even excited for the 550 "24" commercials during Fox's 2 NFC games. Plus, my Dad's coming into town this weekend and we're even seeing LeBron on Saturday night ... I'm giddy."
Pretty much sums up my feelings about the forthcoming weekend as well. That and the fact that I get paid on Friday and can finally get some damn groceries. Not that I'm starving, but there's some basic necessities that my apartment has been going without.

I would have liked to see Mark McGwire get in to the Hall this year, if for nothing else but to hear what he has to say at his speech in July alongside Ripken and Gwynn.

The expensive color laser printer at work has been printing all day. Literally. I'm not sure what exactly is going on, but easily 7,000 sheets of paper went out out of that damn machine today, and it was still going strong when I left.

I'm excited, because something happened today that hasn't happened in probably years. I saw a television commercial and thought "You know, I'd like to see that movie." The movie is called The Messengers, seems kind of like The Sixth Sense meets The Shining meets that video game Drew used to play on X-Box where you had to walk around the haunted house taking pictures of the ghosts and stuff. I wish I could remember what it was called. I haven't been to the movies since the last Harry Potter movie came out, as far as I can remember.

In Bucks County this morning the Alanis Morissette CD buzzed softly from the speakers. I hadn't heard that CD, not given her a thought in a year or more. When I got to work and checked my e-mail, the ESPN sports flash mail was the only thing in my inbox. I opened it and the top headline read "Jagged Little Pills." Two Alanis references in the day. Isn't that ironic?

Actually no, that's not ironic at all, it's coincidence, but I needed something clever to put after that sentence.

Do you ever see people doing that half-run, hunched over, arms swinging but moving the same speed as walking thing? This morning after locking up my bike, I glanced across, up and down the street. A woman across the street was doing that half jog that self-loathing people who still want to say they're joggers do. I crossed the street and headed toward Bucks. I passed her on my way there, and I was walking.

I understand the need for exercise (saying I understand the need for it doesn't mean I do it), but seeing people doing this type of running/jogging always makes me chuckle. It's like they need to keep up the illusion that they're running to themselves to justify their activity. Why not just walk? It'll accomplish the same thing, and you won't look ridiculous doing it.

Also, this woman had on spandex pants. No joke.

I've noticed that in the ESPN sportsnation polls, New Hampshire always has a higher percentage of votes that go to the New England based teams. For example, one of the questions today was which NFL game you are most looking forward to this weekend. 90% of voters in NH said Pats-Bolts, while in Massachusetts only 89% voted that way. Yes yes, small difference, but it always seems to turn out that way. It also seems that Maine could care less, although they do vote more often in the hockey polls.

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

I read this pretty shortly after waking up and the Bill Simmons quote ended roughly two paragraphs before I realized it. I guess he doesn't need groceries?

I believe the ghost-photographing game was Geist. I might be wrong on that.

12:52 PM, January 11, 2007  
Blogger Lou said...

Edited. Yeah, the quote wasn't really clear, since it merged into my own train of thought kind of easily there.

I don't think the game was Geist, it doesn't sound familiar, although it very well may be.

1:09 PM, January 11, 2007  
Blogger Drew said...

It was called Fatal Frame. And it had a lot of Asians. And Asian ghosts. And it was fucking impossible.

6:53 PM, January 12, 2007  
Blogger j. leo said...

Here's an exchange on PTI that I know you'll enjoy:

Wilbon: Hey Tony, I hear that Barbaro the racing horse is getting healthier.

Kornheiser: So I guess you could say that he's in STABLE condition!!

i had to chuckle at that one...

7:57 PM, January 12, 2007  
Blogger j. leo said...

I'd say this weekend has lived up to its promise. Holy shit, that was some crazy football....

8:28 PM, January 14, 2007  
Blogger Face of Spades said...

I hate, hate, hate the fact that His Smugness was pretty much dead-on right about the NE-SD game. I hope Tomax is listening when I say that they were LUCKIER THAN ANY TEAM IN NFL HISTORY.

1:20 PM, January 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home