06 February, 2007

Hendrix on vinyl... sweet dude.

This past weekend I was back in Maryland for a night to help my mom do some stuff around the house, sanding the walls upstairs to prep for painting, taking things to the dump and recycling center, etc. She's moving in April, so I'm going to give her a hand doing some stuff like that. Come to find out she's planning on tossing her stereo and record collection. Being the music aficionado that I am, I couldn't let that happen. There's some great stuff in there, including a good deal of original Beatles records, Simon and Garfunkel, Jim Croce, Donovan, etc. So, I round up all the records, unplug the stereo, and as you can see from above it now resides in the middle of my living room. I came home yesterday and Gwen had been listening to Lionel Ritchie. No joke.

While I was home, I tore a hole in the crotch of my jeans large enough to indicate to me that it was time to go shopping. I hate shopping, and I especially hate shopping in the mall. I've been going to the same department store to get jeans for the last 6 years; same brand, same style, same size. In and out in less than 5 minutes, no problem. I don't have to spend any extraneous time there because I know what I want in what size, and I know where it is on the shelf.

Only this time I go in to find that the jeans I like aren't being made anymore.

Needless to say I'm upset by this. I am not a normally proportioned male according to the sizing pattern that most pants comply with. I'm not terribly tall, but I'm not overly skinny either, and pants are simply just not cut to fit me correctly. So anyhow the search begins. Try on a couple pairs at a couple different stores, but nothing works. I return home angry at the entire clothing industry.

Two days later I'm out again and I decided to try the more 'upscale' city places. I found out through some interwebing that Urban Outfitters sells Levi's (my preferred brand) so I stopped in after work. Come to find out they only sell Levi's for rail thin folks and lanky hipsters. Didn't see THAT coming at all, no. The ones they sold that did fit me were of the pre-faded, pre-ripped worn in variety. Pardon me for thinking that as the purchaser of jeans, that should be my job.

So I head to American Apparel, where they don't even sell jeans. They do sell lots of exercise clothing, apparently. Finally I make my way to Gap.

Now I've always had a liking for Gap due to their lack of branded clothing and gratuitous logo usage. Also, their wall of jeans in the back looked very promising. I knew success was imminent when the first size I saw was a 38x30. For those not familiar with men's sizing, this is like finding a drunk Jessica Alba chugging syrup at Waffle House alone at 5am. Not happening. Generally sizes above 32 waist will jump to a 32 inseam or more, and escalate from there.

I managed to find a a pair of jeans not only in my size, but also without any of the little rips, tears, fades or imperfections that would have cost me more money anyway. I bought two pairs. Hey, when one gets a hole, I've got another pair waiting in the wings now. A year an a half ago I could have bought several pairs of the jeans I like, but I resisted. "I can always come back and get another pair, and since I wear one pair at a time until they're worn to crap, why bother?" I reasoned with myself. That said, with the purchase of two pairs of jeans on this go-round, I don't think I'll be in the market for jeans for at least another 2 years. Maybe by that time the CO2 levels in the atmosphere will have caused global warming to alleviate the world of its need for jeans. That will be a sad day indeed.*

If anyone is interested on Thursday The Tressels are playing a free show at the Millcreek Tavern at 8:30ish. These guys are locals and had one of the best CD's I heard in all of 2006. I've been told they're better live than on CD (most bands are), so I'm definitely going to head over. Drop me a line if you're gonna go as well. I plan on riding my bike there and drinking just enough that I'm not terribly cold on the bike ride back. Their Late Nite Drink Special: every night 9 to 11pm $2.50 domestic bottles, $2.50 domestic pints, $2.50 well drinks and $6 domestic pitchers. I'm sold. I can go and get...two beers. Better make them good ones.

It's Tuesday, which means Gilmore Girls is on tonight. I am not going to try and defend my personal adoration for the show in a long winded manner. I am only going to say that I like it because I enjoy the the witty banter between the characters. Knowing that Norlen likes it too helps me to justify my love for the show to myself, as well. I need re-assurance from others in all things all the time.**

For the benefit of Seth and those interested, I leave you with a picture of the Holiday Bush, now lost forever to the Penn disposal facilities. The string of lights is still in my desk drawer, however.
* This post wins for the most gratuitous usage of the word jeans in this blog to date.
** Note: heavy sarcasm on the reassurance thing.

3 Comments:

Blogger James said...

I hate jeans shopping as well. My preferred jeans size, 35 waist 31 leg, really does not exist. Gap really does fit the best of all that I've tried, and you can almost always find a 35 waist there. In other news, there is an extreme bias against odd numbered jeans sizes. Go figure.

2:26 PM, February 06, 2007  
Blogger Sara said...

Holiday bush! Yes!

3:53 PM, February 06, 2007  
Blogger S'orlok Reaves said...

James: Let me tell you about shopping in a country where things don't fit....

Lou: (& Sarah, whom I don't know) It does exist! And it's as obnoxious as I thought!

11:07 PM, February 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home