07 February, 2007

Look, winter's here. Who knew?

The bike ride to work this morning was adventurous. The snow that fell last night was the type that becomes denser underfoot (or tire), and thus much more treacherous to navigate. So I took it slow and made sure to stay in a relatively straight line, ensuring that my tires wouldn't slip out from under me.

The guy who blew by me on his mountain bike didn't have the same ideas about snow, apparently. I guess someone neglected to inform him that a full suspension Fuji tricked out with splatter guards and snow tires doesn't do too much good when you ride like an asshole.

As I was approaching 20th street on Fitzwater, I heard furious pedaling behind me, and was quickly overtaken by someone wearing shorts and spandex-style leggings underneath, messenger style. I was riding in the road exposed by car tires, but this guy was blowing down the middle of the road. Okay, whatever, I thought. Then in one of those moments that seems to hang around in your consciousness for a few moments as it's happening, he tried to take the corner onto 20th. I say tried because his tires, replete with metal nubs for snow-riding, gave way underneath of him just like you see happen to motorcycle racers. He slammed into the car on the other side of the road with a yelp.

As I rolled up slowly, I watched him collect himself off of the ground.
"Pretty sweet huh?" He said.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, it happened last time it snowed too." he said. "I think I need new tires."
Personally I don't think he needs new tires. I think he needs to not psyche himself into a race with the traffic on his bike in the snow. Just an opinion.

I saw an unfortunate soul do the same thing when I got closer to Penn, although they were trying to navigate down a short flight of stairs. Probably equally as stupid, considering the steps were covered in snow. What is wrong with people?

Prior to seeing the biker at 20th, I saw Drew on his way to work this morning. It reminded me of college, seeing someone on the Union patio or in Backstage or whatever. Except Drew and I were on the street and headed in opposite directions. And we didn't discuss MVP, which was another hallmark of my college career.

Now that college IS indeed over, I've been paying my student loans regularly every month. Today I looked at the loan details and found out that I won't be finished paying that off until I'm 37. How utterly depressing is that? By the end of it I will have paid $6,272.85 more than the original loan. Again, depressing. This is why I need a "real" job so I can start paying more on that loan, finish sooner and pay less interest. Or I could win the Sallie May Sweepstakes and it'd be all paid up. Now THAT would be sweet.

When you start watching the Gilmore Girls and wake up to Veronica Mars on TV, you KNOW something's wrong. I don't know what got in to me last night, but I was in bed and passed out by 10:30. I even fell asleep during the end of Gilmore Girls, which was at like 8:40 or so. Ridiculous. I was still tired when I got up this morning at 8:30, so I think what my body is trying to tell me is get more sleep. Just a hunch.

This week is flying by so far, and I'm not really sure why. Generally by the time Wednesday night comes around, I feel like I'm running in to a wall. Maybe the anticipation at the return of Lost has been holding my head above water this week. By now Evangeline Lily has found somewhere to live, and we can settle in for 16 new episodes. It starts at 10, so I hope I can make it through the entire episode. Kidding. Sort of...

I don't have much to say today, since I haven't done anything but sleep and work. I took a picture of flags on Sansom St. Ate some lunch. Tried and failed to devise some get rich quick schemes. Failed. Obviously. It's been a productive day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Oy Vey said...

37? Consider yourself lucky, my boy. I'm 32 and I think I'll being those goddamn loans (for undergrad, grad and culinary) til I'm fracking 60!

Amen on that Sallie Mae sweepstakes. How damn sweet would that be? I'm sure it's a scam. They need to show the winners of that thing. Like Publshers Clearing House winners. Then we'd know for sure it was for real.

7:53 PM, February 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home