13 March, 2007

In the Navy (blue)

As I was getting to work today, an odd question came to me: When exactly did I become 'okay' with the color Navy blue?

For reference, I have never liked the color blue. I was okay with the other two primaries, but blue always just rubbed me the wrong way. I used to balk at blue clothing and shunned all foods with a blueish hue (note: skylight snowballs excluded, being the only snowballs I will eat.)

I pondered this seeming conversion for a while this afternoon, and decided that my dislike for blue stems from when I was 10 years old. I think it came about when I went from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts. You see the Cub uniform is blue, as are many of the awards. The annual dinner for most scout packs is called the Blue and Gold dinner. The Boy Scout uniform is a light tan. I always enjoyed Cub Scouts, but when I finally got to the troop where I spent about 7 years, I realized I was having a lot more fun. I think I associated blue with less fun. Or something...

Anyhow I realized today on the way to work that I was wearing a blue t-shirt, blue sweatshirt, and blue jacket. I was also sweating because I had grossly misjudged the temperature, but that's not the point. Oh, and blue jeans. Two years ago I don't think I even owned three items of blue clothing and yet here I was. All three items were articles of clothing accrued during the time on the Sandy Beach staff, so it's not like I really had a choice in the color scheme.

I think I am over my blue phobia now, although I still don't wear much of it (owning to the fact that I have spent years avoiding it altogether.) I'm still partial to black, brown, green and gray, but I no longer avoid blue. Maroon, however, I still can't stand, save for one button down of which I am quite fond.

I haven't felt like writing in a while, and consequently I haven't done so. I haven't felt like doing much of anything lately, come to think of it. Working at the cafe, I spend a lot of time reading and sitting around, which is nice, but doesn't do much in the way of motivating me to greatness. That and I find that I'd really rather sit and read most of the day after quitting a job where I was on the computer 100% of the time.

Speaking of the cafe, I was hit with a huge pang of guilt today when I charged someone a rather large sum for a bottle of Fiji water. Seriously, that nonsense is a racket, but if someone thinks it's better or somehow more 'purified' than other bottled waters, so be it. It just makes me wish I had gotten in on the ground floor of that gravy train of an industry.

I also realized earlier today that there are five Tuesdays in March, meaning five paydays (there are five Fridays too, for those of you that get your dough at the end of the week.) This is pretty awesome, because it only happens every three months or so. It also means I'm going to be able to put an entire paycheck into my savings and not feel guilty or get behind on my finances.

Later this month we're doing a training weekend for the council COPE weekend staff. The COPE weekends themselves kick off in April, which should be great. I need to make sure my schedules allow for that, though, especially since I'm kind of helping plan the whole thing along with this guy Matt, who I've mentioned here before. Shouldn't be a problem though, I wouldn't imagine.Definitely not looking forward to driving a few hours to damn near Scranton each weekend, but whatever, it'll be fun once we're there. Plus now that Drew is on board, it won't be as awkward.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I'll second you that Cub Scouts were fun. But I quit Boy Scouts after less than one year. Buncha' dorks obsessed with camping & "citizenship," and all that shit.

9:57 AM, March 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home