10 April, 2007

Bitter doesn't even begin to describe...

How in the hell do I owe the IRS money? $32, to be exact. Freaking highway robbery. I make about nothing and Turbo Tax tells me I owe money? Seriously, I live below the poverty line at the moment, and yet I owe someone money?

Yeah yeah, I did some freelance work this past year, on about $1,600 worth, which was untaxed. Again, even without those wages being taxed, I made less last year than what is considered to be the minimum for survival ($13,690 according to this website). But I also was in school and am paying out the ass for student loans which I can't claim because I was a dependent on another form (my moms.) Lovely.

My favorite question in the whole Turbo Tax process was "would you like to contribute $3 to the presidential campaign fund?"

Fuck no. I'm not giving another cent to anyone. If you haven't already noticed, some dumb broad who moved to NY to play politician already grossed $26 million. Nobody's getting my money.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On an unrelated note, I heard Bjork's new song "Earth Intruders" on XPN a few days ago. It sounds like something Gwen Stefani would write if she went on a three-day mescaline binge at Bonaroo.

That is to say, it sounds better than anything Gwen Stefani could come up with on her own. Bjork is consistently brilliant in her works, and this song is no different. Her Sci-Fi beats listen like some sort of futuristic marching cadence, and mixes well with her vocal style, which swings from sweet to an abrasive grumble in moments. It sounds similar to the first few tracks on Medulla, only a bit more beat intensive. Very active song.

If you haven't noticed, Willy Taveras of the Rockies is the fastest player in baseball. Try to dispute that. Gary Sheffield is single-handedly killing my fantasy team but I keep playing him over Alex Rios for two reasons: a. I keep forgetting to switch my roster in time and b. because I know Sheff will hit this season, it's just a matter of when. I don't want him on my bench when he decides to have a monster game. However, I don't like seeing 0/whatever next to his name every single day. Josh Beckett on the other hand has been all that I hoped he would be. Can't ask for much more than a 7 inning effort with only two hits, 1 ER, 0 BB and 8 K's.

8 Comments:

Blogger Stev said...

I actually wound up owing myself. Did you have any safety bonds that you cashed in or anything along those lines?

11:01 AM, April 11, 2007  
Blogger Lou said...

Que?

2:20 PM, April 11, 2007  
Blogger Mike said...

Willy Taveras of the Rockies is the fastest player in baseball. Try to dispute that.

OK, I'll try: Jose Reyes.

3:27 PM, April 11, 2007  
Blogger Lou said...

Taveras doesn't have the baserunning ability so he won't steal as many bases, and he's not as defensively sound as Reyes so he won't be flashy in the outfield; in terms of pure speed though, I'd still argue that Willy is hands down the fastest there is.

4:24 PM, April 11, 2007  
Blogger Phillip said...

did you itemize your deductions or take the standard, that can be a difference, also did you apply all your tax credits based on stuident loans

9:48 PM, April 11, 2007  
Blogger Mike said...

I haven't seen Tavaras in action since the '05 post-season, so I can't really say.

But Reyes' speed is truly breathtaking.

11:35 AM, April 12, 2007  
Blogger Stev said...

I had savings bonds accrued throughout my life from various milestones. I finally cashed in about $600-700 and since that is technically claiming interest, I had to owe about $20 on it.

12:28 PM, April 13, 2007  
Blogger Amandadigian said...

Hey, another thing (not sure that TurboTax mentioned) -- you had a deducdtible you could take for owning a cell phone --- that's about $30 per phone line (something to do with an antiquated war tax they 'forgot' to take off the books). When I calculated that into mine, I only owed $1.30.

7:22 AM, April 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home