03 May, 2007

You've reached the voicemail of Chase Edmunds, please leave a message

Gwen and I started watching season 3 of 24 last night, and being home in Bel Air this evening, I decided to watch a few more episodes. I've written before about the phone numbers used in the show, and how they use some of the same numbers for different characters.

Now, in episode 4 of season 3, Chase calls Jack, and on the screen of Jack's phone
a number pops up: 818-749-5115.

Of course I call it because it's not the same number I had in my phone under both Jack and Graem Bauer. Unlike some of the other numbers, this one actually rings when I dialed it.

Then my phone said it was forwarding the call. Then Dave Chappelle's voice clicks in on the other end of the line. It's a bit from a standup special or something.
"Shit is ridiculous, people worship television, they worship the shit.

Say you're watching a movie and one character says to the other what's your number, man, what's the other character always say? 555-5555

Know why they do that? Because people go to the movies and then try to call the characters they just saw.

'Hey is Indiana Jones here?'

'No motherfucker he's fake, this is not his number.'"
I couldn't believe it. Whoever set up that line picked just about the most perfect recording to play for a voice mail I've ever heard. Brilliant.

3 Comments:

Blogger S'orlok Reaves said...

That can only be described as "well played."

By the way, how's your data? Back yet?

mepzl = A common misspelling of the internet jargon "me please"

8:43 PM, May 03, 2007  
Blogger j. leo said...

Funny, 818 is my work area code. It's the suburban areas of LA, like Burbank, Glendale, and various parts of the valley. Many studios are within it. So FOX prob set it up...

Wow, they're more clever than I thought...

7:03 PM, May 05, 2007  
Blogger Marcus said...

i had the exact experience last night. saw the number in the episode and decided to call. too funny....

12:11 PM, June 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home