12 December, 2007

Have a take, don't suck. Rack it.

Time for some change. Not to the blog (aside from the new banner), but in my opinion.

See, I used to hate Jim Rome. In college, I was obsessive about my ESPN viewing. After classes would finish, the mid-afternoon usually presented a perfect time for uninterrupted sports media consumption before dinner; my only problem was Rome came on right in the middle of that block. I hated his manner of speech mostly; that slow to develop, halting style for which I myself am noted for by Gwen, much to her annoyance. His whole persona really irked me, but I watched anyway because, well, it's sports commentary right?

Something's changed though, and today I think I pinned down what it is. I never listened to his radio show in Philly, so I didn't know that there was something other than the softball questions and insufferable Roger Lodge co-commentary. This summer I listened to the show on and off, and really grew to appreciate it.

The problem I have with a many radio hosts is their attitude. It's easy to verbally beat up on callers and discredit their opinions, especially in an area (New England) where tensions over professional sports run rather high. Dennis and Callahan, the two morning wonk's on WEEI, spend so much time yelling at each other and at the callers that there isn't much in the way of content. Rome is good because there's no co-host to bicker with, and there's a national focus. This keeps the three hour discussion from being solely focused on Johann Santana, Eric Mangini, etc.

Last week I was dropping off flyers to elementary schools in the East Bay area for work. I walked into one of the schools, and was hit with the smell of cafeteria. I knew instantly that it was pasta day, or at least lasagna. It smelled exactly like my middle school cafeteria when the lunch was spaghetti with meat sauce and rolls. Really strange how that sort of thing comes back to you so clearly with no more than a smell to trigger it.

My recent addiction to Battlestar Galactica is all consuming. It's like a soap opera in space. Season three is so damn good, I just can't stop watching I finished already and don't know what to do with myself.

Who the hell is Hannah Montana, and why do I keep hearing about her? Anyone? I thought she was on TV but apparently she does music too. Also Zac Efron seems a bit effeminate. I mean he looks like a bitch.

I detest hate the Converse commercial with the tiny singing broad with the crappy bangs. See it here if you must. I counted a week or so ago, and I believe I saw the commercial 12 times in a single sitting. I sat there for a while, but all the same. It's a bit of overkill. It would definitely be a bit better if the girls voice wasn't so damn annoying. Or if her bands name (her friggin band!) wasn't Care Bears on Fire. Or if, you know, I'd never seen it. I suppose turning off the TV isn't a viable option.

Seth is back in the United States. He said he didn't want to go out for Chinese food. Party pooper.

Doughty on New Years Eve with Gwen and Turco.

2 Comments:

Blogger j. leo said...

Funny, I find that I've also warmed up to Jim Rome after depising him for a long time, but perhaps that's because I spend an ungodly amount of time in my car everyday and he's the only LA sports person I can bare (and he's got more of national beat anyway, which is even better). Thus, I think he's won a war of attrition, because other people out here DON'T KNOW SIMPLE THINGS! [Seriously, it's bad. I know the East Coasters are crazy, but at least they understand what is going on, unlike people calling in and saying things like "Uhh, why don't the Lakers trade Lamar Odom and like, some cash, for Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, they should do that." Idiots...]

I was briefly excited last week when the ESPN affiliate here gave a show to guy who had worked on Jimmy Kimmel and thus could promise to have Bill Simmons and Adam Carolla on his show often. And he's from Pittsburgh, so he understands the very hard-core nature more so than most west coasters. Sadly, unless he has someone interesting to talk to, he's pretty goddamn annoying. Alas.

So, Lou, enjoy NESN and the like while you can, because it could be worse. And hey, all those Boston teams are doing good, so I don't wanna hear it.

4:19 AM, December 13, 2007  
Blogger Drew said...

Hannah Montana is Billy Ray Cyrus' daughter. Look it up.

9:01 PM, December 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home